Your privacy is important to Phoenix. We take this matter very seriously, and are committed to respecting the privacy of research participants and the general public. Any time you participate in research conducted by Phoenix, you can be confident that your personal information will be secure with us.
Phoenix is a Gold Seal member of the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association (MRIA). As such, Phoenix and its subcontractors adhere to stringent guidelines and procedures for data collection. All of our research is conducted according to industry standards set out by the MRIA, which are consistent with the provisions of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA; Canada).
The following briefly outlines the ten privacy principles of PIPEDA and how Phoenix addresses each one:
2. Identifying Purposes for Collection of Personal Information
- All privacy concerns and inquiries can be directed to the Privacy Officer, a senior member of the Phoenix team. This person is familiar with PIPEDA and its application to public opinion research. Please feel free to direct all privacy-related inquiries in writing to:
1678 Bank Street, suite 2
- Agreements are signed with all subcontractors or third-parties to ensure that these organizations provide the same level of personal information protection as is provided by Phoenix.
Prior to or during information collection (depending on the research methodology), respondents are informed orally, electronically, or in writing, of the following:
- that their information is being used as part of survey, market, or social research;
- that the information they provide is for research purposes only and is kept anonymous and confidential; and
- that only aggregate survey and interview responses are provided to our clients.
4. Limiting Collection of Personal Information
- Since participation in all survey and qualitative research with Phoenix is voluntary, consent is obtained once the respondent chooses to participate.
- Phoenix does not normally provide personally-identifying information to its clients or to any third-party. In cases where such information is requested (i.e. clients may wish to contact participants), Phoenix will obtain permission from the respondents at the time that information is collected and explain the reason for the disclosure. No personal information will be given without the participant?s consent.
The information collected by Phoenix when conducting surveys and qualitative research is limited in terms of the amount and type to what is necessary for the identified research purposes. Under PIPEDA, research firms may collect standard demographic information provided the research purpose is identified.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
6. Accuracy of Personal Information
- Phoenix only uses or discloses personal information for the purpose(s) for which it is collected, unless the individual consents to its use or disclosure for other purposes.
- Completed paper copies and electronic records of surveys, as well as notes and audio- or video-recordings of focus groups or interviews, are kept for a maximum of 24 months. They are kept in secure storage, either in a locked filing cabinet or on a password-protected computer, and are destroyed within the two-year timeframe. All paper records are shredded and electronic records are erased or destroyed (in the case of audio- and video-tapes).
- Phoenix will ensure that the personal information it uses is accurate and up to date to reduce the likelihood that inappropriate decisions are made about respondents based on incorrect information.
- Phoenix will update incorrect personal information brought to its attention by a respondent. If the information was obtained through a third party, Phoenix will notify that party of any changes it is made aware of by individuals (i.e. Panels, Recruiter Databases, etc.).
- Files containing personal information are safeguarded from unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, and modification. Access to the computers, files (physical and electronic), and the physical premises is restricted to authorized Phoenix personnel via the use of locks, alarms, passwords, and firewalls.
- Phoenix 'cleans' all datasets of personal identifiers (i.e. email addresses, residential addresses, phone numbers, names, etc.) before submitting data to clients.
- Phoenix protects personal information disclosed to third parties through the use of agreements that stipulate the confidentiality of the information and the purpose(s) for which is can be used.
- Phoenix staff with access to personal information have the appropriate Government of Canada security clearances.
9. Individual Access to Personal Information
10. Provide Recourse
- Phoenix handles all requests for personal information access on a case by case basis, via its Privacy Officer. Individuals will be advised, following a written request, of what personal information of their's Phoenix has in its possession or control, what it is being used for, and to whom it has been disclosed.
- We have anti-fraud measures in place to protect your privacy. We will act on instructions regarding your personal information when we are satisfied that the request is being made directly by you or by a third party who has the authority to act on your behalf. We will honour requests from third-party organizations acting on your behalf if they can demonstrate that they are, in fact, acting on your behalf, and if we are satisfied with their personal information management and authentication processes.
- Phoenix will respond to all requests made by participants and respondents regarding how their names were obtained. If an individual wishes, their name can be removed from Phoenix lists, and where applicable, Phoenix will instruct its suppliers to remove that individual from their lists.
- In some cases Phoenix may not be able to reveal all information or the details surrounding its collection as this may reveal confidential corporate information, or place other persons at risk of being identified.
For more information on privacy in market research or these privacy principles, you are encouraged to visit the following materials: